DATE: 27th July, 2010
TIME: 10 am
NO.OF STUDENTS: 20
DURATION: 1 period (40 minutes)
TOPIC: Interdependence among Living Organisms and the Environment.
SUBTOPIC: Synthesizing the food web.
LEARNING OBJECTIVES: Synthesizing the food web.
LEARNING OUTCOMES: By the end of this lesson, students will be able to:
· Explain the roles of producers, consumers and decomposers.
· Use the encyclopedia index in order to get the information.
· Use computerized information tools to locate information.
· Evaluate information and determine its relevance in relation to the information required.
· Students will improve their self confident during the process of gathering information.
· Cooperation increases communication skills.
SOURCES: Encyclopedia, reference books, CD-ROM, journal.
Stage / Time
Teacher’s and student’s activities
Rationale / Materials
· What does the picture show?
· What does the animals eat/eating habits?
1. Teacher display pictures.
2. Teacher asks the students about animals eating habits.
· Slide shows.
· To introduce the topics.
· To get students interest.
· Introduce the producer,primary, secondary and tertiary consumers and the decomposer in the web chain.
· Show a pyramid number and explain the flow of energy and the numbers of organisms in each level.
1. Draw the pyramid and insert suitable organisms in each level of the pyramid.
2. Explain on how a pyramid should be drawn throughout the task.
3. Students discuss and show the answers with the teacher.
1. Teacher asks the students to label and name the web chain.
· White board.
· To give a full view on drawing the pyramid number.
· Ask students to draw their own web chain by relating it to the organisms they familiar with.
· Ask students to make sentences based on the web chain they created.
· Teacher gives instructions on how to do it.
· Students do the given activity individually.
· Worksheets and notebook.
· Can you name the producer, primary, secondary and tertiary consumers and the decomposers in a web chain.
· Teacher ask students about the pyramid number to check their understanding
· Teacher gives students handouts on web chain.
· Handouts and worksheets.